Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cathy's Inspiration

In October of 2007, my singing buddy Cathy Ritchie, was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer which had metastasized to her brain, liver, and left hip. An otherwise healthy woman who had never smoked, the doctors theorized she had only been sick six months or less. The cancer was that aggressive. They "gave" her 3 months. She "took" 19 which, by the way, was exactly like her.

During those 19 months, she lived life to the fullest. She sang solos, fed the needy, and came to choir practice when she really didn't feel like it. She and her husband rode a motorcycle to Mile Marker 0 in the Florida Keys, went to the mountains, and to the beach. She was pulled all OVER the lake in an innertube. She rodes horses and shopped until she dropped. She hosted bridal and baby showers. She hosted Thanksgiving brunches and grandkid sleepovers. There were birthday and anniversary parties to attend, and a wedding to dance at. And mostly, there was an ongoing chance to publically share her faith through the platform of her battle.

As I am lucky enough to work from home, during Cathy's last four months I was able to spend weekday afternoons with her in order to provide care, deepen our friendship, and give a little rest to her family. We laughed, cried, and occasionally bumped heads during those wonderful afternoons. During one of our "therapy sessions", we discussed how much there was left to say to the ones she loved, and so little time. Despite my eagerness to assist her in capturing her thoughts, somehow, the mental exercise was unbearable. Coming to terms with one's mortality can be devastating.

Cathy "graduated" 4/13/09 and is terribly missed. Thank you dear friend, for reminding me there are things left to say.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ter! I look forward to following your blog. A very sweet post today. Very encouraging to me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. Looks like you're making good use of what we learned at the conference. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. My friend, Diane, graduated to glory last June. I posted a tribute to her on my blog http://loristanleyroeleveld.blogspot.com/2009/06/diane-geaber-life-lived-for-christ.html

    What I love most about that is that she had the heart of an evangelist and now, whenever anyone searches her name on-line, they receive the gospel so she is still speaking.

    She is the second of my good friends to keep sharing even beyond their deaths. If God can use dead women, He can use us every moment of every day! http://loristanleyroeleveld.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-hear-dead-women.html

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri,
    I lost my Dad to lung cancer and it was very difficult to be with him daily as he came to terms with his "home going." The pull to be with his family but then he was so tired and knew his new home, heaven, was waiting on him.
    Thanks for sharing something so personal and close to your heart. BTW, I wrote about my Dad and his journey with cancer "Daddy's Shoes" and would love to share it with you. It is on one of my blogs www.bethkfortune.wordpress.com. I believe I have it listed in the family section.
    Blessings,
    Beth Fortune

    ReplyDelete