Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wisdom from the front porch

In true southern fashion, there are hanging baskets of ferns across my front porch. In the midst of 100+ degree heat for the last few weeks, the ferns have required a little more water than usual. They can last a few days in this weather, but when they become too dry and stressed, their deep green fades to translucent jade. At that point, if they don't get water soon, they will surely die. In this heat, they really need daily watering.

Today, while misting the fronds and soaking each fern until water ran from the bottom of the pot, I was struck with the similarity to my life. My spirit will be soaked to overflowing with living water and I'll be thriving. Then, I'll take a step or two away and try to manage on my own. Before long, the heat of the world saps my strength, depletes my resources, and I find myself highly stressed. If I don't get back to the living water soon, I'll be in serious trouble.

This wandering, even slightly from God, surely is human in nature. This running back to Him when troubled, purely spiritual. My long term goal, of course, is to reach a depth of spiritual maturity so I cease to roam at all. The short-term goal is to experience greater periods of time between the wanderings. My salvation remains secure, but in reality considering the heat of this world, I really need daily watering. Daily refreshing. Daily restoring.

Where are you today? And what do you need to do to become refreshed in the Spirit?

Acts 3:19 says, "Turn to God so that . . . times of refreshing may come from the Lord.

Praying now for your spiritual refreshment.

3 comments:

  1. I think I will pass the misting fronds stage and go straight to the complete soaking.

    Thanks for this reminder Terri!
    Beth Fortune

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good soaking so that we're overflowing with Him also allows us to pour our overflow into others lives. We cannot pour out what we have not soaked in.

    Praying for an overwhelming outpouring of His refreshment in our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terri,

    I so enjoyed meeting you at the BRMCWC! This is a great blog, how exciting!

    I enjoyed this post, and great reminder to thirst for God. Reminds me of the song, "As the Deer Panteth for the Water, so my soul longeth after You."

    ReplyDelete